Huston-Tillotson is a private HBCU and was the first institution of higher learning in Austin, TX. Chartered in 1877 as Tillotson Collegiate and Normal Institute, the school began classes on January 17,1881. On June 2, 1909, a new charter was issued and the school was renamed Tillotson College, a “normal school” for the training of teachers for the black community. The school was reorganized in 1925 as a junior college; in 1926 as a women’s college; and again in 1931 as a senior, co-educational institution. Samuel Huston College was chartered in 1910 as a private educational corporation and in 1934 was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. These two schools were located less than one mile apart in East Austin. These schools also contributed significantly to the life of Austin’s black citizens.
Huston-Tillotson College was formed by the merger of Samuel Huston College and Tillotson College, which was effective on October 24, 1952. Huston-Tillotson College remained primarily a black college after the merger, although there were no restrictions as to race. The merged institutions adopted “In union, strength” as their motto.
Huston-Tillotson University awards undergraduates, four-year degrees in business, education, the humanities, natural sciences, social sciences, science and technology. The University is affiliated with The United Methodist Church, the United Church of Christ, and the United Negro College Fund (UNCF). Huston-Tillotson University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate and masters degrees.